Re: [TowerTalk] Ham businesses, quads & IP

To: <EL34GUY@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham businesses, quads & IP
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:48:09 -0600
That's a good point, however I think that it's OK to realize that some
technologies have become dated, no matter how excellent the customer support
or how excellent the product.

Quad antennas are excellent performers, but they are also large and more
complicated than many of the new computer-optimized or
continuously-adjustable yagis that outperform them. We installed a 3-element
Gem Quad at VE4VV one year: it worked fabulous, was a total pileup killer,
though I've never done any
antenna work that was more of a PITA, only because of the 3D nature of
quads. (When I'm at the top of a tower, give me a yagi any day!)

And that's even with how great an antenna the Gem Quad was and how well
constructed the materials.

It also kakked later that year under ice, after only one contest under its
wires. (The hardware was fine, it was the wire that broke.)

The Collins S-line was considered top of the line when it came out, and even
years later, still outperforms many new radios. Unless you were a vintage
radio fan, how much would you like to use a set of Collins twins in a
Sprint?

(This is NOT to disparage Collins or anybody who is a Collins fan. They are
great radios from their day. But the day of vacuum tubes is past.)

The ham business is dreadfully challenging for mom-and-pop organizations.
The key is to stay on top of technology and progress with the evolution of
same. But to do that requires a committment to stick through the
development-cost-recovery phase, which may be longer than some near-retirees
wish to stay working.

If the particular quad manufacturing business in question really does have
good future potential, then some enterprising entrepreneur is likely to pick
it up. If it doesn't have a bright future, someone won't and Adam Smith's
invisible hand will have waved once again.

73, kelly
ve4xt