Re: [TowerTalk] MOV's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MOV's
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:52:29 -0400
In an article in a mid 90's CQ magazine Publication (the equipment source
book), it was pointed out that
single MOV's held up better than the so called power strips with built in
protection.  I seem to recall that in several instances a single MOV with
either a PC or transceiver on it let the equipment survive whereas one of
the strips did not.

I try to provide both a UPS amd MOV on all my PC's and use a PC on my
transceivers.  Even tho I may have some of the equipment on a power strip. I
even have a couple of spares for future use.  Most MOV's have a blinking or
steady light built in.  The write up with the MOV say to check them often.
If one with a blinking light goes out (when plugged into the AC) or one with
a steady light starts blinking the manufacturer says the MOV should be
replaced!

This should not be the only protection as the MOV helps with static
electricity during storm build up.  The measures as out lines by Tom W8JI
are really the first line of defense.

73 Dave K4JRB