Re: [TowerTalk] Best way to dig holes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best way to dig holes
From: "Gary Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:26:33 -0500
Dick:

I have dug the base hole for my fixed towers with a tractor type backhoe
and have also dug the base with a small excavator. Both worked very
nicely. The problem with both is that it is very hard to do the fourth
wall (the one closest to the tractor or excavator) perfectly vertical.
Since these machines have articulated arms, their tendency is to want to
make the wall closest to themselves at an angle.

I had a tractor type backhoe do the based for my US Towers 89' crank ups
which had 8' deep walls. The operator was able to dig those perfectly
vertical by using a second helper in the hole working with a shovel
after about 4 foot of depth. The operator and worker worked the hole
sequentially, and they did an amazingly nice job, perfectly flat hole
base, and perfectly vertical side walls on a 5 x 5 x 8 foot base hole.

I have done anchor hole myself also and those were a piece of cake with
a small mini-excavator. I also used the mini-excavator to place the
re-bar cages in the holes. No problem. Unless you are looking at
something very very small, the small excavators at equipment rental
places can do that kind of work easily.

                  Gary           W5FI