Re: [TowerTalk] generators/transfer switches etc Re: Yet AnotherLightnin

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] generators/transfer switches etc Re: Yet AnotherLightning Strike
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 21:18:37 -0400
<snip>

> Take a look at Section 702 (I think) of the National Electrical Code.
> There's words like "The required signs must indicate the type and location
> of the on-site optional standby power source, and must be permanently
> installed and located at the service disconnection point and at the meter
> enclosure. "
>
> That is, there should be a placard next to the meter that tells the fire
> guys and gals that pulling the meter isn't going to shut off the power.
> Even if the NEC doesn't require it, your local building code might.

When mine went in the only thing required was the inability to back feed to
the power mains which was all the power company cared about. Local zoning
only said I had to make the power company happy.   The breaker panel did
need to have a sign saying fed from two sources and that's it. The transfer
switch is manual.

Most of the stuff from HD and Lowe's is legal *IF* properly installed and
includes the proper signs, now days.

I'm thinking of getting rid of that 9500 watt portable and installing a
permanent 15 to 20 KW natural gas fired unit. First thing they'd do would be
shut off the gas and they'd not even have to worry about transfer switches.
That old 9500 has had over 100 hours of use in the last 5 years.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com