Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up tower bracing rubbing against cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up tower bracing rubbing against cable
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:36:38 -0400
When I encountered the rubbing years ago on my Tristao 71 foot crank up I spoke with Lou Tristao who was probably the leading expert on crank up towers. Lou said there was very little room between the braces for the cable. He did check all towers for this before shipping. He believed that shipping or later moving a tower was the most likely cause. He cautioned about bending the braces out too far as this would cause the tower to catch.

I am familiar with Tristao and US Towers but the Rohn crank ups had the same problem. I helped a fellow put up a 51 footer and he cranked it and up and down several times a year. He did not notice that the cable was rubbing and in the midst of cranking it down the cable broke and the tower collapsed and he bruised his hand and arm on the winch crank.

You can easily tell on a Tristao or US Tower if this is occurring as strands of the cable will break. Be careful running your hand over the cable as the broken strands are sharp. I recommend replacing the cable (usually just that piece) if this happens after correcting the brace or braces.

73 Dave K4JRB