Re: [TowerTalk] Steam Pipe for Masting

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steam Pipe for Masting
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 03:00:37 -0400
I'm not so sure I'd worry about the rust, but steam pipe is probably cast
and it's probably much more ductile (bends easily for a given size) that the
alloys we'd want to use for masting.

Also, if it has had steam run through it, I'd imagine it is pretty rusty
inside.
Tom W7WHY

>I would not use it for mast material.  You want something like high carbon
>steel or 6061-T6 aluminum.  Steel is about twice as strong as aluminum in
>the same OD size and wall thickness, so it is the best choice for longer
>masts.

Steel, like Aluminum varies widely in strength depending on the alloy.
Also strength and elasticity are two different things.  Water pipe and black
iron bend rather easily while the galvanized pipe used in fencing is much
stronger, but will give more in the wind. IE it'll move farther without
taking a set and it is harder than water pipe.  I'd not hesitate to use a
piece of galvanized water pipe from the rotator up *through* the tower to an
antenna just above the top of the tower.  I'd not use it to extend much
above the top of the tower so when you talk about stacking I'd not go that
way.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

73, Keith NM5G