Re: [TowerTalk] mast material

To: "'Richards'" <jruing@ameritech.net>, "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mast material
From: "Julio Peralta" <jperalta4@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 07:47:20 -0400
In my opinion fence top rail is a poor choice for mast material. Once a long
time ago before the internet when I was trying to get information about
stacking antennas I used a 20' piece of top rail to stack a couple of 6M
beams. It lasted less than one year before it bent just above the collar of
the top section of tower. It was bent so much I couldn't slide it back into
the tower to get at the top antenna. It was quite dangerous and a lot of
trouble to get both antennas and the bent mast on the ground, but that's
another story.

Another problem with top rail is it is much smaller OD than 2" OD and
requires a lot of shimming to be used in a HY-Gain rotor, which leads to the
mast slipping in the rotor.

Getting the right material for a mast isn't as hard as it used to be so take
the time and do it right.

Julio, W4HY