Re: [TowerTalk] HDx89MDPL winch motor stopped eorking

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDx89MDPL winch motor stopped eorking
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:01:55 -0800
I want to thank all the people that offered advice, particularly W3TX who
observed that if it stopped "eorking" I should ask for advice from Winnie
the Pooh. Fat fingers on the iPhone and too little proofreading...

I have used an extension cord rather than permanently wiring the tower into
an electric circuit.  This morning I plugged the cord in, used my trusty DVM
to measure the voltage at the outlet, saw 0.0V.  Pressed the red button on
the GFI breaker and read 120V.  Went out to the tower, flipped the switch,
and it descended normally under electric power.

As with many of these things, once you know the cause, you feel a bit like a
dunce.  I was fooled into thinking that the outlet was live by looking at
the sprinkler control plugged into the same GFI outlet, but its display was
apparently working from a backup battery of some sort.

73 de Dick, K6KR