Re: [TowerTalk] 160 M OCF antenna

To: "'K4SAV'" <RadioIR@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 M OCF antenna
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:20:07 -0500
Jerry,  It was originally 271' and had a SWR match of 1:1 at 2.1 MHz.  I
added 25' and that brought the 1:1 match down to 1.950 MHz.   Note, I am
saying SWR match and not resonance which I used before and, of course, could
be misleading.  I have misplaced my MFJ 259 meter so I'm relying on a Daiwa
SWR bridge to measure this guy.  The resonance at 296'  should be much lower
than 2 MHz but I don't know the velocity factor of this insulated wire which
should push the frequency even lower, not higher.  My ground here is nearly
perfect since I'm Oceanside about 13' ASL and surrounded by ocean on all
sides since I'm on the southern tip of the island,  except to the NNW as
this key runs.

I just moved the long end to about 20' elevation and removed the 25' adder
section.  With this configuration, the SWR is now centered at 1.3:1 at 2.04
MHz.  Still too high for a 271' long OCF dipole. I think the idea that the
proximity to ground is the culprit here is probably correct.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"