Re: [TowerTalk] Grid dip meter and Yagi elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <W8JI@contesting.com>,"Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grid dip meter and Yagi elements
From: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:19:26 -0400
Hi Dale,

Tom nailed it when he said to buy a real GDO. Years ago,
I also bought the MFJ "plug-in" for the purpose of tuning
and cutting 1/4 wave coax stubs.  This purchase was based on
the MFJ tech's claim that it worked great for him on Coax - but he lied!
Yep,
he cited the ARRL article as "proof" of how well it worked.

After I couldn't get it to work, I called the tech
and held his feet to the fire - finally he 'fessed up - he then changed
his story from saying that he used it himself with coax, to based
on the ARRL article, he THOUGHT it SHOULD work with coax.

But then he (the tech) refused to take the product back for a refund!
I appealed to Tom, W8JI and being the gentleman that he is, Tom
personally sent it back and requested the refund on my behalf.

It took SIX weeks and FOUR unanswered follow-up telephone calls
to receive a refund, and then MFJ refused to refund the $6.00 UPS
charge that I paid to get the plug-in. that was bought on the recommendation
of the MFJ tech who had lied about how well he had seen it work with coax!

Morals of the story:

1) If it is an MFJ product that you are thinking of buying  and you
want the TRUTH about how well it works (or doesn't), ask W8JI.

2) Buy good quality equipment to properly measure whatever it is
you need to measure.

73
Bob KQ2M