Re: [TowerTalk] Using Rohn 65G

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using Rohn 65G
From: "W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:28:28 -0700

> Necessity is the mother of invention.  I brought out 90 feet of Rohn  65
> KH6 and faced the same problem.  Solution......I took the bottom  section
> (the
> one that is tapered) and had a weld shop cut out holes for the  thrust
> bearing
> and the holes to mount it.  Since 65 is the same  whether it's right side
> up
> or upside down, I simply used the bottom tapered  section for the top.
> All
> that is left is to fabricate a rotor plate...easy  enough to do.  I hope
> this
> helps.

Rohn doesn't recommend using the bottom tapered section for a top.  Take a
look at Drawing C630665, in the 2004 Revised Rohn Catalog.  There are two
notes on the drawing as follows:

"All sections can be installed with either end up, exept for 65TG Section."

"7/16" dia. drain hole is provided just above the weld (typ. at top and
bottom of each leg) on each section, except the 65TG section which has holes
at the bottom only."

Rohn obviously considers the tapered section to be a bottom section only.