Re: [TowerTalk] Tower ACCIDENT

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower ACCIDENT
From: "David Jordan" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:18:39 -0400
What would be really good for the list members is a set of questions one
should ask before beginning work on a tower that they do not own or do not
have knowledge of the structural health.

In the instance provided the writer was told the tower is in good shape, by
the owner.  That is a pretty subjective statement.  What is good shape to an
inexperienced ham radio operator who has no experience with towers might be
a "red flag" for a professional tower installer. Some obvious questions that
come to my mind are:

- How long has the tower been installed?
- Have the guy wires been replaced regularly?
- Has the tower been inspected regularly?
- Has the tower been hit by lightning?
- Who did the installation?
- Has the tension on the guy lines been measured?

I'm sure there are better questions to ask but having a check-list for our
list members might prevent future accidents. Maybe, such a list, already
exist on a web site but I'm not aware of such a list and I'd like to have
access to such a list for myself and my friends in the hobby.  I'd post such
a list on our club web page.

Thanks,
Dave
Wa3gin