[Towertalk] Antennas and stuff

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antennas and stuff
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:19:41 -0500
Hi all,

I've noticed that of 10 most recent messages from TT, 10 were about either
double posts to the reflector or the spelling of lightning. Zero have
actually had anything to do with antennas or towers. (BTW: since at least
that's somewhat related to TT, the facts rest in W0UN's favour. Lightning is
that bright flash of light during a t-storm; lightening is to move from a
darkened (or heavy) state into a less dark, or less heavy, state. One is a
noun, one is a verb. So sayeth Mr. Oxford.)

So in the interests of relieving off-topicitis, here's one message, at
least, that IS about towers or antennas: I am trying to build a 1/4-wave
80-meter inverted L. Feedpoint is six feet above ground, with the wire
rising 26 feet to an insulator and then 40 feet south in an approximately
horizontal position. Counterpoises are two horiz. wires at six feet high,
one of which (under the top portion) is 66 feet, the other is as long as
available space permits.

I haven't yet started pruning, but thanks to a borrowed MFJ 209, I see that
even at the dip (about 2.8 MHz), the SWR is 3:1. It's been a while (at least
two kids) since I played antenna guru, but am I missing something obvious?

I plan to as soon as I get a chance (the aforementioned two kids, natch)
just force feed it with the autotuner and see how it plays, but I'd be
interested in any feedback you might have.

Kelly
ve4xt