[TowerTalk] rohn flat top sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rohn flat top sections
From: w3yy@cox.net (Robert Peterson - W3YY)
Date: Mon Jun 2 18:45:05 2003
Steve -

Check the Rohn drawings, but I think you'll get a couple of extra feet with
the new 25G straight section and small flat top plate (About 10' vs 8') vs
the 25AG-4.  Also, if you ever want to grow the tower, all you have to do is
move the small flat plate, rather than removing the whole top section and
reinstalling it later.

On the other hand, the 25AG-4 may provide some better access to rotator,
etc., since the top two Z brace sections are not Z-braced but open.  This
also allows you to more easily install two rotator plates with a thrust
bearing on the top plate and rotator on the bottom plate.  With a second
thrust bearing the top flat plate of the tower section, the mast and
antennas are now completely supported without any rotator.  Removing the
rotator for maintenance is now no problem (of course find a way to keep the
mast from turning while you do this!).  I use this arrangement on my towers
and it works great.

The TB-3 is a good thrust bearing.  Have used them for years with no
problems.

73, Bob - W3YY
.