Re: [TowerTalk] C4S-XL assembly/tuning tips

To: <TowerTalk@Contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C4S-XL assembly/tuning tips
From: "Terry G. Glagowski" <TGlagowski@SBCglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 00:55:27 -0400
I have a C4SXL mounted on a TriEx LM470D so I don't have to climb, also I have a
"hanging hinge plate" that keeps the antenna level as the tower tilts over, so I
have tried lots of trial and error tuning adjustments on the 40m elements of the
C4SXL.
When the antenna is about shoulder height and elements kept off the ground with
a wooden chair or other similar item,
I tuned the driven element for about 6900 KHz (with the hairpin removed and the
reflector jumper removed).
I tuned the reflector for 6800 KHz.
Tuning for X=0 and R=??? using an MFJ Antenna Analyzer (269B), ??? being in the
25 ohm vicinity.
I have since replaced the hairpin with a 1:2 balun (25 ohms balanced to 50 ohms
unbalanced) and tuning is easier.
when at 70 feet, SWR is 1:1 at about 7170 and less than 2:1 from 7.0 to 7.25.

QUESTION:
I don't see a lot of front-to-back or front-to-side compared to the 20-15-10
section of the beam...
Do I have the frequency difference between driven element and reflector at the
correct value?  Or could something else be wrong?
Maybe it needs to be at 140 feet high to see a good pattern?

Terry / W1TR
------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:00:43 -0400
From: "John Santillo" <u1004467@warwick.net>
To: "'krishna kanakasapapathi'" <kkanakas@cisco.com>,
        <towertalk@contesting.com>

Krish,

I have the same antenna.  I found if I tune it on the ground for 6.9MHz, as
the antenna is raised the tuned frequency increases to 7.1MHz depending on
height above the ground.  Your mileage may vary but it's a good place to
start.

73,

John
N2HMM