[TowerTalk] SteppIR problem...size wires? ala KH6

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SteppIR problem...size wires? ala KH6
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:42:42 -0400
Bill, I would be very concerned about using a 650' control cable for this
antenna after reading about all of AH6FC's problems with a four element
SteppIR and a 500' cable.   You'll need the factory to assure you that this
antenna is designed to work with such a long cable before purchasing it and
shipping it to Hawaii.

John KK9A

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
From: k4xs
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 02:32:36 EDT

I have been following this thread with great interest.....

My house out here in KH6 should be finished by July and I hope to get my
tower up after that.  My permit has been approved for a 150 footer.   The
only
problem is in order to get it to that height approved by the county I  had
position the tower about 500 feet from the house.  (long story...the
numbnuts
in the building dept are afraid of it falling over sideways exactly 150  ft)
Loss is not too big a problem since I plan on using 7/8 inch  Heliax.

However, I am planning to run three SteppIRs...two 4 el and one MonstIR at
29, 56 and 90+ feet in phase, with a smaller tribander (maybe an A-3 or
whatever  I can scrape up and a M2 for 40 at 150 ft.

My question is this...what gauge wire is SteppIR selling for their longer
runs?  I have a bunch of very nice stuff (rat shack with braided cable
(several
thousand feet, packed away somewhere in boxes I plan on using).

I could bring the tower closer to the house but that would mean shrinking
it
progressively as it gets closer to the house, since the lot is kinda wedge
shaped and get narrower where the house is.

Bill KH7XS/K4XS