Re: [TowerTalk] Exploding Foundations

To: "'David Gilbert'" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>,"'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Exploding Foundations
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:10:38 -0500
I have seen a few concrete bases cracked from lightning strikes. These were
all where there was no ground system attached to the tower at all. Just the
tower attached to the J bolts in the concrete. I can't recall seeing one
cracked where there was a ground system attached.

A few years ago where I had my boat docked a palm tree was hit by lightning.
The tree was close to the concrete sea wall and it blew out a chunk of the
sea wall and concrete shrapnel flew in many directions. I think there was a
crack in the concrete before the lightning strike so there was probably
moisture in the crack. So yes concrete can explode.
The EMP screwed up the compass and a few other things on the boat. The
compass came back to normal after a few weeks but it had quite an error for
awhile.

For anyone that disbelieves concrete can explode into shrapnel, if you have
an acetylene torch (I don't know if a regular propane torch is hot enough)
just hold the flame an inch or so from your concrete floor in the garage for
a few seconds and you will get a big bang and a chunk of concrete will
explode out sending bits everywhere. Wear safety glasses. It doesn't need to
have a crack in it either.
I am not saying this will happen in a tower foundation as I have never seen
it happen there.

73
Gary  K4FMX