[TowerTalk] long feed thru connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] long feed thru connectors
From: n9en@voyager.net (N9EN@VOYAGER.NET)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 06:56:19 -0600
Hello T-T'ers!

I have been following the various messages on this. I thought that I would pass
along the method that I use
here at Radio Free Roscoe (IL) to get all of my coax &
control cables into my house.

Rather than trying to get each coax & control cable into
my house individually, I use a different method. I make
use of weather-proof boxes on the outside of the house
and use galvanized pipe nipples to route the wires into
my house.

I should add that I live in an all-brick house that has a
basement. I go through the "top plate" of the house, to
bring the wires into the basement (the top plate is the 2" x
8" which rests vertically on the foundation, that supports
the sub-flooring & outside walls).

Many years ago, I wanted to install an additional entrance
for my wires. I was fortunate to work for a company that
had a Milwaukee core-drilling machine in its Maintenance
Department (I was an electrician in that department) and
was allowed to borrow the machine.

It took longer to brace the machine, using fence posts
driven into the ground and lashing the machine to the
fence posts & make sure that the core drill contacted
the brick in a flat manner, than it did to go through the
brick with the core drill. I used a minimum amount of
water to keep the core drill cool. The entire drilling
operation took less than one minute. The end result was
a perfectly round hole through which I placed the pipe
nipple.

Hams living in frame-type homes would only have to
use a hole saw that is normally used for sawing through
wood or steel.

73 de Brad, N9EN @ Radio Free Roscoe (IL)...