[Towertalk] Guy wire resonance. Break it up or use stubs?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy wire resonance. Break it up or use stubs?
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:32:53 -0400
Many probably don't bother or notice, if the SWR is not killed, many
would not care as long as a yagi seemed to have a pattern and took
power. And someone can make the case that for much amateur activity,
it just doesn't matter. No argument from me.

What does happen rather easily, monkeying around with models of
miscellaneous wires around yagis, is that nulls in transmission are
moved or reduced. Nulls are the result of fairly precise cancellations
of radiation from the antenna elements, and include important uses
like front-to-back, and are neighbors to sensitive angle ranges like
extremely low incoming signals.

Much dx would seem to be worked in a yagi's low pattern which is
already well down from the maximum due to the unavoidable ground
reflection cancellation. It is possible to make the drop worse, by
adding unwanted null loss from a miscellaneous conductor in the near
field. Hence stories of DX popping up when metal guys were replaced.
The maximum forward gain is hardly changed at all, but an already
handicapped low arrival angle can be made worse by adding an
additional unwanted null to the existing cancellation.

Other wire-yagi combinations can be shown to introduce unwanted
vertically polarized reception which may raise noise levels on
reception.

Loss of front-to-back or front-to-side can be a real handicap in
contest operations.

But then again, I'd guess the placement and depth of nulls is probably
not noticed much, if the SWR looks OK. Mapping nulls in all directions
is quite a bit more work than reading a meter.