Re: [TowerTalk] Name this antenna

To: <eric@k3na.org>, "steve d" <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Name this antenna
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 01:53:21 -0400
Eric et al:

     That same LPDA antenna was spec'ed by VOA for installation at their
proposed relay site in the Negev Desert in Israel in the late 80s.  (I was
working for the consulting firm that had the contract to design it and W3ASK
was part of the team.)  The whole site was intended to receive VOA audio via
satcom from CONUS for eventual relay into southcentral Asia due to Soviet
jamming of our CONUS-originated programming.  The LPDA was intended as a
backup for the satcom link.  As I recall the boom looked like it was made of
Rohn 45, or something of similar size.

     The facility was never constructed because Gorby decided to initiate
his policy of glasnost and turned off the jammers.  Sigh.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
P.S.  The size of the reflector screen for the electronically steerable (!)
HF broadcast antennas at that site was measured in acres!