Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "KJ0M" <kj0m@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:25:04 -0500
I put the half sloper up on 160 and it works well. Beyond saying I'm pleased with the performance and it tunes up easily I can't give much more in actually performance figures.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

On Sep 25, 2004, at 8:57 PM, Tower (K8RI) wrote:

Any one have experience with "half slopers"? (half of a half wave with
the tower serving as the other side)

I worked all 40 Zones on 40 and 80 meters to complete my 5BWAZ using half slopers on my tower. They may not be scientific and there may be better antennas, but they do work on occasion. You have to do lots of calling if the pileups are big, but working some of those 40 zones from South Dakota can be a real challenge, not matter what kind of antenna you have, HI!

I've since switched to a BC Trapper with 40 buried radials, which seems to get through the pileups much quicker.

YMMV.

73,

Jim
KJ0M