Re: [TowerTalk] the elusive 1db

To: "'Bob Nielsen'" <nielsen@oz.net>,"'TowerTalk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] the elusive 1db
From: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 21:17:37 -0500
That is a real interesting observation about that dish.  I had
some experience at Michigan State back in 1962-63 writing some
Fortran programs and using IBM punched cards.  I never saw the
computer. In fact, I didn't really know much about how the
computer worked.  I just wrote some code, punched the cards, and
put them into a steel drawer.  The next day I would come back and
see if the white-coated computer priests had given me a printout.
It was touch and go, but finally I got some actual results.

My guess is that someone actually did the math for the dish and
wrote a program and ran it on a mainframe and came up with the
design.  It could be done .... it just took a little longer back
then.  But even then the computer was a lot faster than a slide
rule, and a whole lot more accurate.  Slide rules were great, but
you were lucky to get within 10 per cent if there were very many
calculations to make.