Re: [TowerTalk] Location of remote antenna switch

To: "Craig Sande" <craig.sande@sbcglobal.net>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Location of remote antenna switch
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:30:00 -0400
Craig:

      I have my switch at the base of my self-supporting, non-crank-up
tower.  The location makes it easy to get at the switch to add antennas or
change them as I build new ones.  Plus I shunt-feed my tower and I can
simply run a short coax pigtail from the switch to the series cap on the
ground, rather than running a long feed from atop the tower back down to the
cap.

     In the case of a crank-up tower, it might make sense to mount the
switch at the top.  In that way you have only control line and the single
feed from the rig to worry about when raising and lowering the tower.  You
can always crank down the tower to get at the switch for maintenance or
antenna changes/additions.

     Electrically it won't make a difference where the switch is mounted.
I'd go for whichever location is easiest from a mechanical and access point.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F