[TowerTalk] Quad, Common feed 10m-40m!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quad, Common feed 10m-40m!
From: ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca (Mike & Coreen Smith)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 22:20:34 -0300
I had an old an tired Gem Quad a few years back It was old and repaired many
times before I ever bought it.

I modified it to have 10,12,15,17,20,30 & 40m on a single feed. Worked well
on ALL bands with the single feed.
I also had 6m interlaced, but that band was on a separate feed as it was for
a separate radio.
The f/b & pattern was not so great on 40m as the thing was 1/2 sized and the
elements were just too close and the loading coils pretty big and scary
looking, hi hi! The SWR and patterns on all the other bands were all OK.
Took me a while to match everything.
What I did was put the driven together and tune each band separately, then
retune a little bit each time I added a band.
 Once I had all the drivens set, I measured (as I recall) the wire for the
reflector and made it 5% larger. Put it all together, then up the tower it
went.
It was quiet as could be (QRN wise) and if it weren't for the horrible NB WX
(or the fact it was severly overloaded)
it'd still like to have it up today!

73- Mike

Michael, Coreen & Corey Smith