[TowerTalk] Fw: lightning vs insurance

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: lightning vs insurance
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 18:26:37 -0500

>> If I get whacked..I am paying in advance for that
>>possibility.  Since, to paraphrase the Polyphaser guy...regardless of all
>>of
>>our time, money and efforts we are still subject to and cannot defeat the
>>upper hand of mother nature.  Just another way of looking at it. Tommy
>>WD4K

You may not be able to defeat mother nature in a worst case scenerio, but
you can mitigate or eliminate damages in lesser cases and *most* cases fall
into the lesser case category.  The ground system here *seems* to have made
a substantial difference. I don't know what it cost as it's been done in
several steps, but with 32 or 33 8' ground rods cad welded to over 600 feet
of bare #2, it's probably well over a thousand dollars (maybe $2000) plus
many hours of labor.

So when I look at the possible damage in the whole house and the ability to
eliminate damage from the lesser strikes and nearby strikes and at least
reduce damage from larger strikes I'm willing to spend quite a bit

> That's the difference between a typical ham, who can be out of
> service for a while, and something like a FAA tower, where they have

Up here in the frozen north being without power for much more than a few
hours can get very expensive and it's no fun tying to replace a breaker
panel or do some rewiring in an unheated house

People generally associate thunderstorms with warm weather but we get them
occasionally with snow storms and they are quite common with ice storms. Ice
storms are most common in the late fall or early spring, but can happen most
any time. From what I've read the super strikes are more likely to ocurr
with the snow and ice storms than with summer thunder storms.  This winter
has been very unusual so we really don't know what to expect.  We had
thunderstorms in late December and today, January 5th is 50 degrees. It's
supposed to cool down tomorrow with some cold Canadian air coming in but
even then the forecast is for unseasonably warm. I should add that highs of
32 to 38 are unseasonably warm even if they do feel cold.

So my elaborate ground system may not protect me from a super strike and it
may be coincidence that I've had no damage since completing it even with all
the direct hits the tower has taken, but I'm inclined to think it has saved
me and the insurance company a lot of money.

I have a generator large enough to run the whole house and so far the run
time since 2000 is now over 110 hours.  That is a lot of time to be without
power and probably over half of it was when the temperature was well below
freezing. OTOH if the house electrical system were shot the generator might
not do much good. Still if the furnace is OK I could run a line directly to
it and still have heat. Otherwise I do have a couple of small electric
heaters that *might* be able to keep the pipes from freezing.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com