Re: [TowerTalk] Stiff Gloves

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stiff Gloves
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:40:17 -0500

>A pair of leather work gloves, no lining, used for handling ropes
> (resembling what a cowboy would wear) was left outdoors at the base of my
> tower by a visitor. Brought indoors, they have now dried out -- and they
> are completely stiff. Is there an easy way to make them supple again?

I go through about 6 or 8 pair of leather gloves per year.  I purchase the
soft type (usually Deer skin, or pig skin)of a size I can just get my hand
in so they have to stretch a little. That way I can even pick up relatively
small parts without having to take them off. These are typically $9 to $15 a
pair and work far better for me than the inexpensive ones.

There are leather gloves and then there are leather gloves.
The simplest way to soften plain leather gloves is to put them on and use
them.  They will be uncomfortable for a little while but if they are good
leather they will soften in a relatively short time.  Cleaning instructions
(with the gloves)  say to hand wash with a mild leather cleaner followed by
a leather conditioner.  They say to hang dry.  I've found the dryer on
"fluf", or "gentle" seems to work fine.

Another possibility is to just moisten them and then put them in a dryer
with some other things like towels and let nature take its course.  This is
assuming the gloves are fairly clean to start<:-))

If you plan on using the gloves for things like climbing, do not use any
oils or soaps.  Generally I do not use any oils or soaps that will mark what
ever I'm handeling which means I use them on my boots, not my gloves.  Oils
and soaps are also likely to reduce the gripping ability of the gloves. Used
spairingly conditioners work well.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com