Re: [TowerTalk] ladder line vrs coax

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ladder line vrs coax
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:20:21 -0000
From: "Merlin-7 KI4ILB" <merlin-7@sc.rr.com>
To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:40 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] ladder line vrs coax

>I am a bit confused here.
> I have an inverted  parallel dipole setup now fed by coax
> with an air wound coke at the feed point.
> the feed point is about 28' high and the ends are about
> 18' high.
> I picked up a flat top kit fed with ladder line.
>
> What are the pros and cons between the two other than less
> loss on the flat top?

With the ladder line, you will have to use a real tuner, not
the one built into the radio. This means more knobs to turn.

Ladder line has far less interference rejection than coax,
which means that you will hear every computer and TV birdie
in your house, and maybe your neighbors' houses too. If you
are running a computer in your shack, this is usually a
show-stopper for ladder line.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.