Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Generators and UPS's

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Generators and UPS's
From: "John Wagner" <jwagner@dxengineering.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:59:14 -0400
 A Ferroresonant type of line isolator will in-fact take a rather poor sine
wave and make it proper.

Topaz, Sola, Delta Emerson used to make them. They are not very efficient
and don't like loads as they become more inductive and less resistive. SO
they are not for every application. If they are loaded above 60%, they will
keep up the sine wave for better than two cycles before they
decay..sometimes, that's all you need for a 16ms UPS transfer switch to
engage.

We have really large diesel powered gen sets here and lots of individual
UPS's around without the problems noted when on gen power.

Keep the list informed if you get any answers from the UPS folks..

John W8JJW