Re: [TowerTalk] Exploding Foundations

To: "'Doug Renwick'" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>,"'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Exploding Foundations
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:50:32 -0500
Well thank you Doug! I didn't know that my credibility had a score card.
It's so nice to know that someone is keeping track.

It seems these answers are awfully important to you so I will oblige.

You want to know what a few means?
One would mean a single one.
Two would mean exactly two.
"A few" means three or more last I knew.

To be specific, as far as I can remember the number of cracked foundations
that I have seen number around 4 or 5 or maybe more which qualifies as "a
few" in regard to my statement.

"How do I know that these bases were cracked from lightning strikes and not
from some other action?" I did not see it happen so I can't be 100% sure but
just prior to a lightning storm that took out the equipment at the site the
tower foundation was fine. Immediately after the strike the foundation had a
crack. These were pointed out to me by the service people when I was called
to inspect the sites.

I didn't say that I knew that there were "just J bolts in the foundation". I
said that there was no ground on the towers other than the tower attached to
the J bolts in the concrete. I don't know what was in the concrete besides
just the J bolts. In some cases there may have been rebar and in some cases
there may have been only J bolts in the concrete. But no external ground
connections.

73
"Out in the open and working on my credibility"
Gary  K4FMX