Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing coax

To: <keith@dutson.net>, "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing coax
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:48:15 -0400
> meters.  A barrel connector should not lose more than
about .1 dB on 40
> meters.
> Keith NM5G

As Keith says, it indeed would be under .1dB

.1dB loss would be 2.3% of the applied power.
2.3% of 1500 watts would be 34.5 watts.

A UHF barrel connector would get red hot inside with that
much loss, since the loss is confined to the center
conductor area.

The typical UHF barrels I've measured are about .01dB or
less loss at 30 MHz. The loss is actually so low, a good
network analyzer can't resolve the loss. The loss generally
has to be measured by temperature rise. (I think the same
guy who made the S units on every receiver 6dB made the
connector loss in every connector .1dB.)

The biggest worry is the reliability of the connections, and
that's solved by proper soldering and weatherproofing.

73 Tom