Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:51:55 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>

If that lead through some error (almost certainly by a goofball at the local repair garage) somehow becomes unbol;ted from the very large bolt securing it, the electrical system in your vehicle will generally be toast long before the radio has a problem. That's why you use a negative lead fuse in a mobile when grounding a radio (stupidly) directly to a battery post connection.

Okay, I'll bite, Tom. Why is it stupid to run the negative lead from my rig directly to the battery? I did this in my truck. Is the main concern failure of the main chassis

My manual says to run the negative lead directly to the battery, particularly with todays unibody construction.

All it takes is a weak weld giving way or a rusty joint causing the path to change

At least they are no longer welded up on an assembly line of people. I worked on one of those over 40 years ago and I can testify there were certainly more than a couple of bad welds that went through. <:-))

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com
to battery negative connection so that the rig power
return becomes the power return for the entire vehicle
electrical system? I did fuse the negative lead. If I change
this where should I connect the power return lead (its
easy enough to do)? Should I connect to any chassis metal
near the battery, the engine block, or are you advocating
that I only run one wire back to the battery from the rig
and use the vehicle chassis as the power return?

Thanks,