Re: [TowerTalk] Numbered wires

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Numbered wires
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 11:07:28 -0400
From: <phil@grateones.com>
To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 7:38 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Numbered wires

> Do you folks know where I can buy wire, with wire numbers printed every
> few inches on the coating? I would need #16 rolls numbered 1 - 30 so I
> don't have to waste time putting number stickers on the wires in a control
> system.

All I can tell you is that at one time they were available. I don't remember
where we purchased them. (They are devilishly difficult to read on small
wire sizes)

We used to use those at work, but then realized we could purchase the colors
with traces that did the same thing for a fraction of the cost.  I don't
know if the numbered wires are available, but the colored ones with traces
are.  Just follow the color code we used for resistors. Black = 0, Brown =
1, Red = 2,  White with Brown trace = 11, White with Red trace = 12.  Red
with Brown = 21.  IF you can find the base colors then you could st art with
black plus the traces.

This does have the drawback that some numbers are not available following
this convention such as 22.  But wires are available with multiple traces as
well. White with two traces   As I recall the price did go up with multiple
traces and availability for some combinations was difficult to find.

Custom wires are, or were available with numbers up into the hundreds, but
they required large purchases and they were expensive.  However with a white
base and using only the two traces you can count to 89 continuously.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com