Re: [TowerTalk] Generator (natural gas) and lightning

To: "Just Justin" <nevtxjustin@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Generator (natural gas) and lightning
From: "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@mozarks.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:17:51 -0600
No matter what you put over the tank, the potential
is what matters.  If the tank has a lower potential
to ground than the wire you hang above it, then the
wire will be bypassed and the tank hit.

Just because you have a wire between the sky and the
tank is not even a fair indication that the tank would not
get hit.

Lots of discussion on this has been had on the WISPA mailing
lists.

The major telecom sites do NOT use such an apparatus.  They
ground their propane tank to the site ground.  Never had one blow up!