Re: [TowerTalk] 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:03:43 -0400

>> Well.. what might be good/standard practice in the commercial world may
>> not
>> be needed in the amateur world. It's all about risk acceptance. Consider
>> transient protection for ham gear.. one could take the commercial
>> approach
>> and protect everything 17 different ways ( a good idea if that gear is
>> supporting your income), or, I can do nothing, and be willing to lose it
>> all in the unlikely (here in SoCal) event of a nearby lightning strike.
>>

> And just to put it all in perspective, consider how all the utililties
> entering your house are grounded. Is it an array of ground rods

All of them.

> bussed together 00 cooper and Cadwelded connections? No, its a
> single 8ft ground rod with a compression clamp. And that's the

Here the number of ground rods is determined by the soil and soil
conditions.
I have mostly wet clay with a water table that is *usually* quite high and
still had to put in several ground rods.
If in dry sandy soil you will have a bunch of the things.

Even the satellite dish required a ground rod  and the coax cables from it
had to pass through grounding blocks before entering the house. I moved the
dish to my tower where it's now part of the "single point ground" system.
Telephone lines have one ground tied to the service ground and the rest go
through surge protection although I'm not sure how effective that'd be.

The system does use clamps but they are *supposed* to be checked
periodically.

> electrical utility ground. Look at the CATV ground. It's a puny little
> ground block with a #12 AWG wire clamped through a #10 screw
> (if your lucky). Same for the telephone ground.

Considering you are grounding  a series of  #22 wires I'd think that'd be
sufficient.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com