Re: [TowerTalk] Q on guyed rotating towers

To: <jimjarvis@optonline.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Q on guyed rotating towers
From: <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:37:19 -0600
Mike,

I think what you are saying is the stength of the tower itself is not
changed, it is simply that whatever downforce is generated from torsional
load on a guyed tower is not present, and that such downforce is rather
small.  I expect that force might be more useful on a pier pin perhaps.

I think Jim raises a point though in the differences that occur or may occur
when the torsional load is arrested a single point, in this case near the
base where the chain attaches, versus at a multiple points where guys
attach.  I run a managed care organization, I'm not an engineer, but it
seems the only real difference is that the actual torsional movement at the
top of the tower may be somewhat greater than if it were guyed at several
places.

I'm at least glad that others have wondered about this.

Art