[TowerTalk] Anchor Failure from Corrosion

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anchor Failure from Corrosion
From: w7ni@easystreet.com (Stan & Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Mon May 5 10:25:18 2003
My Silent Key friend, W7MB, had a wooden pole about 70 feet high in his back
yard.  He had a couple of cables running from the ground to the top of his
pole that acted as guides for an antenna mount that he could run up and down
his pole without climbing it.  Worked great until he just could not seem to
keep the cables stretched tight.  The bottom of both cables were attched to
earth anchors right at the base of the pole.  He finally determined that he
was pulling the anchors slowly out of the ground everytime he tightened
them.  Finally, he pulled the anchors totally out of the ground and saw that
the entire plate had simply rusted away and so did most of the rod, too.  I
have one of these anchors which I have saved to show people and I can take a
photo of it if someone will vollunteer a site to put the picture on.  Let me
know.  Believe me, this will make you think twice about using this type of
anchor . . .

I have heard the W7MB salted the ground below his tower with various
chemicals to make a good ground plane for his antennas and it was obvious
that he had some sort of "secret weapon" at work since he was the first W7
to achieve 5BDXCC and from a small city lot inside the city of Portland, OR
. . .  The "secret weapon" may be what had eaten his earth anchors alive . .
.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com