Re: [TowerTalk] dipole ends: Tree attachments

To: "Tim N9PUZ" <tim.n9puz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dipole ends: Tree attachments
From: "W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:42:36 -0700
Tim,
I use screw in electrical-insulators (ceramic insulators with a lag screw
built in).  I feed rope through the center of the insulator and use it
instead of a pulley.  They smooth ceramic works well with minimal abrasion
to the rope.  Some of my insulators have been installed this way for 25
years now with no problems.  All of my trees are slow growing Doug Fir so
I've never had to move or back out the insulators.  Your results may be
different depending on the tree type.  I have a 40M Double-Extended Zepp
that is 135' high on one end and 90' high on the other end.  I use it for
160, 80 and 40M and it works wonderfully.  To minimize tree climbing in the
event a rope should break, I always feed two ropes through the insulator so
that I have a backup available.  This only became necessary after I started
using dacron covered "antenna" rope which seems to break about twice a year.
I'm going back to cheap Home Depot rope which has always lasted 5-10 years.

73,
Clay  W7CE