[TowerTalk] self support guying

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] self support guying
From: "Skip K3CC" <k3cc@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:03:33 -0500
with all do respect to my fellow members,  I was under the impression that
there are 2 forces that act on a tower.  Well they are the main forces
Compression and rotation.

With that said, I believe that the self support has the compression strength
built into the tower legs and body.  By adding guys you are now increasing
the downward force, compression, and that may increase metal failure from
the rotational forces on or near the center.

Next is the boom length of the antenna.  This will create the rotational
moment.

If the reason to guy the tower is to increase the size , length, of boom
guying will not help in my opinion.

The fact that a guyed tower can be straight and pinned with a tapered base
proves that the rotational force is taken up by the guys as the tower
rotates freely on the pinned base.

On the other hand I have seen more towers with a solid base plate fail due
to improper guy tension  Again they tend to fail at the point of the most
rotational force on the tower and bend.

I have used Rohn HBX towers  and installed many with short boom antennas and
never had one fail.  Only upon overloading with a 25 ft boom and high winds
did one fail.

Somewhere, I guess I missed the question why would you want to guy a self
support tower ???

de Skip   K3CC