Re: [TowerTalk] Comparison between SteppIR and Cushcraft LogPeriodic?

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Comparison between SteppIR and Cushcraft LogPeriodic?
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 03:35:54 -0000
From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:51 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Comparison between SteppIR and
Cushcraft Log Periodic?

> I'm looking to get a new antenna and would appreciate some
> comments on
> comparing the 3-element SteppIR and the 8-element
> Cushcraft log
> periodic.
>
> The performance in terms of gain, F/B, bandwidth, SWR,
> power rating
> and beamwidth are close enough to be a wash, so what about
> the other
> factors?

If you believe the manufacturers' numbers, you are giving up
over 2 dB of gain on most bands if you go with the
Cushcraft. That would be significant for me. Plus, there is
the old ham axiom of "LP's perform poorly over a wide range
of frequencies." Also, you don't hear of too many contesters
running Cushcraft LP's.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ