[TowerTalk] Tower legal battles [was Chicago Tribune:AntennaStirs Static

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower legal battles [was Chicago Tribune:AntennaStirs Static Among Neighbors]
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Thu Aug 14 10:29:15 2003
Thousand Oaks, CA has a similar strategy..
More a question for the ham-law forum: Is $1000 a "reasonable accommodation"
under PRB-1?  In the OTARD rules, a $5 fee for a Ku-band dish was held to be
unreasonable. (The FCC used a metric of comparing cost of
equipment/installation against fee... $100 for dish vs $5 fee... So, $10,000
tower and antenna for a $1000 fee?)

Where does the cost line get drawn?
It probably costs the local municipality (at least here in So Cal) around
$50-100 just to handle the paperwork for any sort of permit or license,
especially if it's something that they actually have to look at and check.
Compare, for example, a business license, min $22, but nobody has to look at
it.  Figure that some engineer in the city is going to have to look at your
drawings and at least make sure it matches the rules.. Figure 30 minutes
@$100/hr fully burdened cost, then you have to add the time of the counter
clerk, the filing system, etc.

If one wanted to look into it, compare the cost for the tower permit against
that for, say, a swimming pool or spa or room addition, etc.

BTW, I understand that some of these punitive tower fees were actually an
attempt at a)revenue enhancement from telecom companies wanting to install
cell towers; and b)thinly disguised means of discouraging casual cell tower
placement or competitive "site grabbing". (i.e. if you're company A, and you
want to keep company B out, one way is to file for permits on all of the
possible locations for B's tower, paying some de-minimis fee to the
landowners for the right to do so.