Re: [TowerTalk] GRADE 5 BOLTS

To: "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GRADE 5 BOLTS
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:32:03 -0400

>> If you are concerned about strength, you might want to consider GRADE 8
>> bolts, which are much stronger than the 'normal' grade 5.
>> Both ACE and HD have these in stock. . . .
>>

> However Grade 8 doesn't have the same properties as Grade 5, it is much
> more
> brittle for example.  I've used stainless with no noticeable trouble, and

Grade 8 are much stronger than grade 5 and they are "harder". I'd not call
them brittle though.

> I've used galvanized (though they were longer since getting the exact
> length
> is a challenge) but it would be wiser to stick with what the engineers
> designed for the product.

Likewise I'd stick with the galvanized, but I have no problem using SS
either and they are easier to work with with one exception.  Bolts on a
tower should be installed "dry" if they are torqued. Adding lube to the
threads means you are going to get a lot more compression for the specific
reading on the wrench.  Please note wrench is spelled with an "r". <:-))

> The hardware is available direct from Radian/Rohn or suppliers such as
> TESSCO.

If you have a local supplier/wholesaler that will sell to the public you can
purchase those bolts by the box of a hundred for about the same as a half
dozen to dozen at any of these other places. Locally we have Alma Bolt
(Prime Fastener) who also are on the web (I have no connection to them other
than spending a lot of money there)  Grade 5 galvanized should be plenty
more than sufficient and you'll be able to get them apart.  Do not use "cad
plated" as they will rust very quickly

Typically when I need some screws, bolts, or other hardware I purchase it by
the box so I'd building quite a supply.  Currently I have them on shelving
and in some drawers but the cabinets weren't designed to support that much
weight. <:-)) BTW these are costing me only about 10 to 15% of what they
would have in small lots at ACE, Lowe's, Home Depot, ... etc...

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)