[TowerTalk] Antenna surface area

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna surface area
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:11:48 +0100
No Stu, it wouldn't be precise.

It would be the integral, as I stated.

Your formula  would result in a surface area exposed to the wind
much larger than even Gene's calculation (especially, if his is reduced for
1/2 of the tube facing the wind), when in fact, it's actually less.
Take a look at what you said:  0.5 x Pi x D.  Well Pi x 0.5 = approx. 1.55.
If you multiply 1.55 x the diameter times the length, that's *much* more
than Gene's original calculation!!!

It is the Integral over the complete half of the diameter.  Not a simple
calculation - it requires a computer.

As far as taking 1/2 of each of the elements and the boom, it all depends on
your definition of *wind area*.  Just define it, and you're fine.
So, your definition is fine with me, as is mine.  Whatever definition the
mfgr uses, it is Ok with me, as long as we all know what they use.
If you use the larger of the two, that will be larger than the sum of 1/2 of
each, so it's a bit more conservative.  That's why I use it.

Bill