[TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 3, Issue 36

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 3, Issue 36
From: W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com (W1GOR)
Date: Fri Mar 21 05:12:14 2003
Greg,

There seems to be TWO types of winches that are typically supplied with
towers.  One type is designed with SPUR GEARS and is probably the type that
caused your injury.   The second type is designed with a WORM GEAR and can
only be driven BY the worm gear.   Spur-type winches can be driven TWO ways,
either by the winch handle, or, in your case, by the load.   Worm-gear
winches can NOT be driven by the load, since the 'spur gear', the one that
is driven by the 'worm gear', cannot drive the 'worm'...  In this design,
ONLY the worm can drive the spur gear, but NOT the reverse.  Also, the
worm-gear type of winch CANNOT FREE-WHEEL...  It MUST be driven by a crank
handle, or, if the shaft is 1/2 inch diameter or less, by an electric drill
motor...

I've been specifying ONLY worm-gear winches on ANY device that requires a
winch...  Towers, Engine Hoists, and other machines that need the mechanical
advantage of a winch.   Telescoping towers that use WORM GEAR winches do not
require stopping blocks to hold their position.   The winch can raise or
lower the tower to ANY height and KEEP it there by virtue of the worm/spur
winch.

Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark,
professionals built the Titanic...