Re: [TowerTalk] nice trick for raising masts to drop into a tower

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] nice trick for raising masts to drop into a tower
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:16:57 -0500
This works really well, but when I installed the mast in my tower as well as
the old repeater antenna I took the *cheap* route.

My Gin Pole has a swing arm and pulley to gain a mechanical advantage in
lifting heavy loads.

I made a two turn "hoop" out of plain old soft 3/16" guy wire about 8 inches
in diameter and just slipped it through the end of the swing arm.  It may
not look all that fancy, but it works well and requires no tools to install.

When we raised the repeater antenna (when it was at this site), and the mast
(when I put up the new tower) we just guided them up through the loop.This
lets you hook lower on the mast or antenna and get more height out of the
lift, while maintaining support .  It also lets one person  up-on-top easily
control what otherwise would be an unwieldy monster.

One other "trick" is to put a half hitch in the rope between the point where
it ties onto the antenna, or mast and the top.  There is a possible problem
with this in that if the antenna, or mast has to be repositioned the loop
can drop down and no longer supply support above the balance point. At that
time you realize just what the phrase "tiger by the tail" really means.
<:-))  Been there and done that. <:-))

>    Don Daso K4ZA came up with a cute trick to help install masts in
towers.  He describes it as follows in this month's "PVRC
> Newsletter".
>
>    I think this is an important safety innovation in ham tower work and
think Don's idea should be widely circulated.

>    -- Eric K3NA
>
> The Toolbox
> By Don Daso, K4ZA
>
>    Hams sometimes do slightly dangerous things, and that can include tower
> work, especially the job of raising heavy masts. I've done it myself,
plenty
> of times, using a variety of methods. Having tried all these ideas, having
> listened to everyone else's solutions, I was still convinced there "had to
be
> a better way." Driving through my neighborhood a while back, I had one
> such "Eureka" moment--coming up with a solution to this age-old problem.
> This works better than anything else I've tried.
>
>    I recently had to install a 21-foot chrome-moly mast, working alone
atop
> the tower. Installing a basketball goal (just the hoop) at the top of my
13-
> foot heavy-duty gin pole, provided a margin of control (and safety)
missing from all previous methods I've used. The mast, lifted at
> just above its midpoint, couldn't swing or "get away" from me once inside
the hoop, which made guiding it down, and into the tower
> top's thrust bearing, relatively easy. (No matter how big and strong the
tower worker is, maneuvering such a mast is always
> difficult ON THE TOWER, as there's no real mechanical advantage possible,
nor a good way to control the heavy mast.)

> Despite all the kidding from my ground crew, everyone agreed this simple
tool made our work faster, and more importantly, safer.

> I chose the basketball hoop because it was pre-made, relatively cheap
(mine cost $20), and sturdy. I ground off the small loops,
> which normally hold the net, then drilled matching holes for U-bolts and
saddles to allow mounting on the gin pole.

> The installation of long, heavy masts is now much easier. This simple tool
will always be in my tower toolkit.