Re: [TowerTalk] Ways To Tilt Over a Light Tower ?

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ways To Tilt Over a Light Tower ?
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:45:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <douglas.snowden@med.va.gov>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 10:36 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ways To Tilt Over a Light Tower ?

I was thinking
about putting
a 12 ft 6X6 with a backstay and pully at the top, that is near the tower and
use a small
winch to crank it up and down

That basic idea sounds good. Use two backstays, spaced apout 30 degrees apart, for sideways stability. You can cut winch tension in half by using two pulleys, one on the tower, and one on the post. The cable routing would go from an eyebolt closed eye) at the top of the post, through the tower pulley, back through the pulley on the post, mounted just below the eyebolt, and then down to the winch.

I've seen an LM-470 lowered this way. I think they used a 12' 4x4 post, just sitting on the ground. The two backstays took all the strain.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ