Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance

To: <K3BU@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 03:52:55 -0800
Hi Yuri,

Well, Cecil's example is a good explanation for why there is
a current standing wave on an resonant antenna like a dipole.
But, how do you get from that observation to the conclusion
that the "delay" through the inductor is the same as the "delay"
through the section of antenna which the inductor replaces?
Unless the "delay" of the inductor is the same as the "delay"
of the section of antenna it replaces, then the current tapers
won't be the same. That is what is at issue, and what has
been at issue in this debate. Now when you are talking
about inductor, what is its "delay"? If you have current
going into the inductor which doesn't come out right away,
then you have a concentration of excess charge building
up in the inductor - No?. This concentration of charge will
give rise to an electric field between the excess charge
and the rest of the antenna's enviroment which causes
charge to move elsewhere in response. But this is nothing
more than displacement current. So the "delay" through the
inductor (and hence the taper) will depend on the distributed
capacitance between the inductor and the rest of the environment
(imagine a bunch of little tiny distributed capacitors between
segments of the  inductor and the other half of the dipole), but
this is what all the proponents of Kirchoff's law have been
saying all along. You see, the circuit view of things has to be
consistent with the distributed view of things.

Okay now me head doesn't hurt as much as it did this
morning. Your turn.