[TowerTalk] Portable Tower Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Portable Tower Question
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Fri Jun 27 10:35:33 2003
Don't forget about the portable tubular crank ups sold by Force 12.  They
are more expensive than the AB-577 but much lighter and smaller..  A friend
has the 42 foot version mounted on the rear of his big Van.

Another option is the complete tower and trailer sold by Alumna tower..this
does run $6,000.

Military surplus towers (both tubular and smaller versions similar to the
AB-577) are often sold by military surplus dealers.  There is a fellow in
Roswell, GA who sells a 30 foot version of the AB tower for about $350 when
he has them.  I understand they are often for sale on Ebay under both
amateur radio and military.

I find the 4 or 5 foot section aluminum and fiberglass tubing sections are
hard to work with when more than 5 or 6 sections are placed together.  Years
ago I had 50 feet (10 sections) of 1 3/4 aluminum tubing from a WW II TBW 5
set that we used on field day to hold a G4ZU birdcage
and a Gonset 20 meter bow tie beam.  Fairly easy to get up with two or three
people helping but impossible to take without help  And we only went up 6
sections!  The instructions said to have a muscular marine hold the center,
another marine to add sections and three marines to hold the guy lines.
This for a double doublet.  They had two towers to put up.

73 Dave K4JRB