Re: [TowerTalk] Loos Tension Gauge

To: "W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loos Tension Gauge
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:23:50 -0400
> I didn't follow where you're going with these two
comments, Tom.  According
> to the printed chart on my new PT-2, 30 corresponds to 660
pounds for
> 1/4-inch "cable" -- whatever Loos uses as their standard
"cable".  I thought
> the earlier discussion was that stainless mast stays (or
whatever sailors
> and/or Loos use) were far more flexible than 1/4EHS guy
wire, hence the "30
> = 660 pounds" might be in error for our guy wire.
>
> Are you saying that you have some other, independent way
of measuring the
> tension, and that you are now confirming that the Loos is
accurate for
> 1/4EHS guy wire?

No, not at all. It might be off by 2:1 for all I know.

Or simply that the two materials you used prove that the
> Loos conversion scale is material dependent and can be
"off" by more than
> 2:1?

Yes.

I'm posting this on line since it may be useful to all
interested.

The tension values I gave ASSUMED Loos' tension was correct
for EHS. They were not actual readings on an accurate
dynamometer, so the pounds tension I gave could be anything
in the real world.

The only thing I was verifying is the gauge is very material
sensitive when two similar OD but vastly different stiffness
materials are measured.

Whatever they used to calibrate a stiffer material should
read higher than it really is and a softer material lower.
You can be sure it won't be the same if the material
changes.

73 Tom