Re: [TowerTalk] Home insurance news/tips vis. antennas

To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Home insurance news/tips vis. antennas
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:12:03 -0500
What it means is rates will go up for just about every one as insurance
companies are in business to make money and not pay claims.

They are going to get that money back one way or another, BUT if the more
people self insure, use higher deductibles, and eliminate replacement value
riders, they are eliminating income to those companies which means even
higher rates for a longer period while they are trying to recover.

It's a vicious cycle and particularly for those of us with towers and lots
of electronic equipment.  If I have a claim on my antenna system it will not
be small, particularly if I have to hire any climbers. I doubt I could have
the tri-bander replaced for less than a couple thousand dollars, but
considering how long I've been paying an extra premium the insurance company
would still be ahead. OTOH Only those who haven't watched the weather didn't
realize higher premiums were on the way.

I will most likely be dropping the ARRL insurance which used to be a good
deal, but now there are so many disclaimers I'm better off with a rider on
my home owners policy. Just look at what kind of damage they don't cover and
that included lightning, power line surges, and I believe water damage.
(plus lots more)

However I do agree, with the policy of not making small claims.  Use the
insurance, but only when you really need it.  Whether we will be able to
afford the necessary insurance in the future remains to be seen.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com