Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Pinning Alternative

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Pinning Alternative
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 00:35:18 -0400
It depends on the mast clamp. The M2 Orion is a big rotator, but the mast
clamp design is seriously flawed, guaranteed to slip with a big load.

The G-2800 is pretty good as clamps go, but regular inspection of any
antenna/mast clamp is advisable. A friend of mine installed a G-2800 many
years ago, I think it was 15 or 20 years, and it held 16 sq ft of antennas
stacked on the mast quite nicely -- until it didn't. The mast was pinned,
but over that long period of time the nuts on the u-bolts gradually
loosened, and the mast was able to turn just enough to eventually shear off
the bolt used for pinning. Then the freewheeling began.

I don't think there's any such thing as a maintenance-free tower. It's
amazing how long my friend's rotator held the mast, but regular
inspection/tightening would have been a good idea nonetheless. As far as
rotator and mast clamps go, if you have a good system and the bolts are
torqued properly, an inspection every couple of years will probably be
enough.

73, Dick WC1M